Keetha Mills was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer in 2012 after joining the Foundation in 2008 as Vice President of Finance and Chief Financial Officer. The Foundation for California Community Colleges is one of the largest operating education non-profits in the country with over 50 active programs and annual operating revenues of over $30 million. Serving as the official nonprofit to the nation’s largest system of higher education, the Foundation’s programs and services benefit California Community Colleges, students, and local Community College foundations throughout the state.
Mills’ extensive experience in corporate and non-profit leadership and her in-depth knowledge of the organization have been instrumental in helping the Foundation grow and expand its capacity to provide centralized support and respond quickly to the needs of the California Community College system. Since joining the Foundation, Mills has facilitated key activities and initiatives that benefit, support, and enhance the California Community College system.
- Furthering the Foundation’s efforts to support student success, workforce development, air quality, health care, technology solutions, and the Foundation’s network of partners and fiscally sponsored organizations.
- Overseeing programs and campaigns that benefit students and communities throughout the state, including the California Student Success Center, the Student Success Flagship Initiative, and the LaunchPath internship placement program.
- Managing investment funds that support the entire California Community College system.
- Enhancing partnerships related to philanthropic funding initiatives with organizations that include JPMorgan, Kellogg, Hearst, The Kresge Foundation, and Jobs for the Future.
- Spearheading the development of the Foundation’s new five-year Strategic Plan, which focuses on improving how the Foundation supports students, Community Colleges, Community College Foundations, the California Community College system, and Foundation infrastructure.
Mills’ background includes over 20 years of experience in executive leadership, finance, accounting, and operations. She is a current fellow of the American Leadership Forum, and has served in executive leadership roles for non-profit organizations, private industry and major accounting firms.
Prior to joining the Foundation, Mills served as Controller for Hines Interest Limited Partnership, where she directed the financial operations of a $490 million portfolio of real estate assets. She also previously served as Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer for Planned Parenthood of Houston and Southeast Texas, and as the Interim CEO of Planned Parenthood of Louisiana and the Mississippi Delta. Mills spent the early part of her career working with two of the nation’s largest accounting firms at the time, Arthur Andersen and PricewaterhouseCoopers. She later went on to serve in an executive leadership role at Dynegy, an S&P 500 company that provides wholesale power to utilities, municipalities and other energy companies in 13 states throughout the nation.
A community college alumna, Mills earned her Associate of Arts in Business Administration from Lee College in Baytown, Texas, and her Bachelor of Science in Accounting from University of Houston.