Jorge (J.C.) Sales is Executive Director of Program Development at the Foundation for California Community Colleges. Sales expertly leads the Foundation’s longstanding systemwide business and procurement program, CollegeBuys, by strategically collaborating with system procurement, technology, business, and policy professionals. He pursues reinvestments, recognized through innovative procurement strategies, that directly benefit California Community College students, faculty, staff, and the system.
Prior to his current role, Sales successfully oversaw the management of the Foundation’s Community College Initiative for Egypt; and the direction of the California Connects Digital Literacy Program. As Manager of the California Community Colleges Initiative for Egypt (2008-2010) Sales oversaw the activities of over 200 recipients of Fulbright Scholarships from the Arab Republic of Egypt. In his role as Director of California Connects (2011-2013), the program exceeded digital literacy training goals; and introduced affordable internet access to students, faculty, staff, and underserved communities statewide.
Sales has over 10 years of experience in California’s government and nonprofit sectors, having worked with then-Attorney General Edmund G. Brown in various capacities in the capitol region; and directing a regional reelection campaign for Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. He is an alumni of the University of Southern California.
- Executes mutually beneficial CollegeBuys procurement agreements, leading to more than $300 million in cost savings for the California Community College system
- Represents the California Community Colleges as part of the California Higher Education Shared Services (CHESS) initiative, in collaboration with the University of California and California State University systems
- Develops legislative recommendations that streamline business and procurement processes statewide
- Fosters shared interpretation and unified application of legal statutes statewide
- Supports the state’s expanded digital literacy and online education objectives, bolstered by California Connects, an affordable internet access program for California public higher education and underserved communities statewide
Prior to advancing to Executive Director of Program Development, Sales held several leadership roles at the Foundation, including Director of CollegeBuys, Director of Healthcare Programs, and Director of Collaborative Services. Prior to joining the Foundation, he served as Assistant Press Officer for the California Department of Justice and as a Policy Fellow for the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.
Sales earned his bachelor of arts in business and managerial economics, juris doctorate, and master of public administration from the University of Southern California.