The California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) and the Foundation for California Community Colleges (FoundationCCC) coordinate STEP to provide work experience and job preparation training for SWD.
Established in 2018, STEP funds work readiness and paid work experiences, encourages local partnerships, and serves students statewide.
To date, over 1,600 students have engaged in paid work experiences, with over 13 workforce development boards participating.
Local Workforce Development Boards and America’s Job Centers of California (AJCC) seeking to increase services provided to students with disabilities can apply. The project will provide job preparation training, including job exploration, workplace readiness skills training, and work-based learning experiences, as well as summer work experience to students with disabilities.
- Only one proposal will be accepted from each local workforce board or AJCC.
- Each respondent must identify businesses committed to engaging with students with disabilities and provide a clear strategy to partner with these employers to provide work experience.
- Respondents must demonstrate a workplace readiness training program ready to be implemented at their location.
- Must be a student with a disability in a secondary, postsecondary, or other recognized education program
- Age 16 to 21
- Eligible for and receiving special education or related services
- Must be a potentially eligible or eligible consumer with the Department of Rehabilitation before enrolling into the STEP program
Interested parties can sign up for the interest list to receive email notifications of application announcements and information about our application workshops here.